Smiling Sunshine Cookies
Make sunny "happy face" cookies and watch your child's face light up with a smile!
refrigerator sugar cookie dough (or your favorite sugar cookie recipe) prepared vanilla frosting yellow food coloring raisins cookie sheet sharp knife (ADULT USE ONLY) plastic knife mixing spoon
What to do:
- Slice the roll of cookies.
- Invite your child to place each slice on a cookie sheet.
- Bake as directed.
- As your cookies are baking, sing this song with your child about this treat. (Tune: "Row, Row. Row Your Boat"):
Yum! Sunshine Cookies
Smiling all around.
What a lovely face you have
Yellow, big and round.
- As you sing, invite your child to help prepare the frosting. Add a few drops of yellow food coloring. As your child mixes the icing, a sunny yellow color will appear.
- When they are done, take the cookies out of the oven and let cool.
- With a plastic knife, let your child lightly frost each cookie.
- Help your child create a 'smiley face' by using raisins for the eyes and mouth.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- What color is the sun?
- Does it have a face?
- Do sunshine cookies make you feel happy?
- Is there a color that makes you feel happy? Which one?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop language skills and teaches the basics of food construction.