Play Dough Pinch Pot
Open-ended materials such as play dough help children discover and explore. So, pinch a piece and play a while.
1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/2 cup salt
dash of cornstarch
commercial play dough (optional)
What to do:
- Use store-bought play dough or have fun making your own. Let your child help measure and combine all the ingredients in a saucepan except the food coloring.
- Stir well over low heat until the mixture becomes rubbery.
- Let your child knead the warm dough.
- Divide the dough into several balls. Add a few drops of food coloring to each ball and knead in the color.
- Give your child a ball of play dough.
- Show him how to create a pinch pot by using his thumbs to hollow out the center as his fingers press up the sides.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- How does the dough feel when you play with it?
- What will you put in your pinch pot?
- What other things can you make with the play dough?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps introduce your child to a variety of artistic tools, mediums, and techniques.