Fall Leaf Mats
This fall craft is one that has been handed down from one generation to the next. Your child will be amazed as the beauty of the season is captured and saved.
assorted colorful leaves (whatever is available in your region)
scissors (ADULT USE ONLY)
iron (ADULT USE ONLY)
What to do:
- Take a short walk together and collect some fall leaves.
- Cut 2 sheets of waxed paper about 9" to 10" long. Help your child place one sheet on a folded newspaper.
- Let her arrange the leaves on the waxed paper. If the stems are thick, trim them with scissors.
- Help her cover the leaves with a second sheet of waxed paper.
- Place another sheet of newspaper on top.
- Press over the newspaper with a warm iron, sealing the leaves between the sheets. Check for a good seal and press again, if needed.
How to use:
The leaf sheet can be used as a place mat or hung in a window.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Show me leaves that are about the same size, color, and shape.
- What would you like to do with your fall leaf mat?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop large muscle skills and small muscle skills.