Let's Take a Walk in the Rain
Grab your rain gear and umbrella and make the most of a rainy day together.
boots umbrellas raincoat
What to do:
- Look out the window with your child and watch the rain.
- Observe the clouds; listen together to the sounds.
- Invite your child to walk with you in the rain. Ask her what she will need to walk outside in the rain. Help her get dressed.
- Once you are outside, listen again to the sounds. Are they the same as the ones you heard inside? Are they louder? Softer?
- Smell the rain.
- Look for some animals. Ask your child where she thinks animals go in the rain.
- Encourage her to stick her hands out from under the umbrella. How does the rain feel?
- Find some puddles. Invite your child to float sticks in the puddles. Let her jump in some puddles.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- What color is the sky?
- Do you see lots of clouds in the sky?
- Was it fun to walk in the rain? What was the best part?
While you are having fun together, your child is developing observational skills, listening skills and increasing language skills.