Windy Magic Fun
Introduce your child to a straw, and together you can conduct experiments with wind and air!
straw cotton ball scrap of paper
What to do:
- Give your child a straw, cotton ball and a small piece of paper.
- Invite him to experiment with these items to answer the following questions:
"Can you feel air?" (Show him how to blow through a straw against his hand.)
"Can you make a cotton ball move without touching it?" (Show him how to blow on it through a straw.)
"Can you pick up a square of paper?" (Place the end of the straw on the paper and show him how to suck on the other end.)
- Teach your child these phrases when using a straw: "suck air in" and "blow air out."
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- When you blow on your hand, does it feel like the wind? Does it feel cold? Hot? Does it feel good?
- Let's go outside and see if anything is blowing in the wind.
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop eye/hand coordination and concepts related to science.