I Love You Cookies
Invite your child to make some special cookies that say, "I love you."
1 small jar of strawberry jam plastic knife (for spreading jam) heart-shaped cookie cutters 3/4 cup peanut butter 1/2 cup margarine 3 cups flour 1/4 cup shortening 1 tsp. vanilla 1 egg 1 cup sugar 2 Tbsp. milk measuring cup and measuring spoons rolling pin mixer cookie sheet cooling rack
What to do:
- Help your child measure the margarine, shortening, and peanut butter into a bowl and then beat together.
- Invite him to add the egg and beat well.
- Then let him add sugar, flour, vanilla, and milk to the mixture.
- Chill 2 hours.
- Encourage your child to roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured board.
- Let him cut out heart shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Place the hearts on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 8 to 10 minutes (until slightly browned). Remove to a cooling rack.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of strawberry jam on a cookie and cover with another cookie for a sandwich effect.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Tell me some of the things we used to make these cookies?
- How are peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and peanut butter and jelly cookies alike? How are they different?
- Would you like to make some more cookies and give them to someone for Valentine's Day? To whom would you like to give them?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills, eye/hand coordination, and pre-math skills.