Newspaper Listening Game
Want to strengthen your child's listening skills? Look to a newspaper!
old newspapers scissors tape
What to do:
- Show your child how newspaper can be cut, torn, and crumpled. Listen together to the different sounds each action makes.
- Invite your child to turn around. Then you cut, tear, or crumple the newspaper.
- Encourage your child to listen and guess what you did.
- Switch roles, challenge your child to cut, tear, or crumple the newspaper and you guess what he did.
- When you are finished, gather the newspaper into a tight ball, secure it with tape, and play catch with it.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- What other sounds can newspapers make?
- What are some of your favorite sounds?
- Whose voice do you like to listen to?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills, eye/hand coordination, and listening skills.