Pop Goes the Weasel
What's more fun than singing a song? Having a movement that makes the song special!
tape or CD of children's songs (optional)
What to do:
- Sing or play a recording of the song "Pop Goes the Weasel."
All around the cobbler's bench,
the monkey chased the weasel.
The monkey thought 'twas all in fun.
POP! goes the weasel.
- Encourage your child to listen carefully for the word "pop" in the lyrics.
- Sing the song again, and have her jump every time she hears the word "pop." This type of movement and repetition excites young children.
- Think about other children's songs that could contain movement. Sing these songs and challenge your child to act out the words with hand or body motions.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Weasels are creatures that like to jump. Can you jump like a weasel in the song?
- What's another way to make noise in this song? How about clap (hands) or stomp (feet) when you hear the word "pop"? Let's try it.
While you are having fun together, your child is developing large muscle skills, listening skills, and language skills.