The Caterpillar Song
Learn about creatures of the garden with this simple song.
books about caterpillars and butterflies (optional)
What to do:
- Talk about how caterpillars spin cocoons and change into butterflies. Use books and pictures to teach this concept.
- Go on a nature walk to try and spot some.
- Use this song as a teaching aid; enjoy singing it together. (Tune: "Pop Goes the Weasel"):
Up and down the flower stalk
the caterpillar inches by.
He spins a bed and snuggles to sleep
and OUT POPS A BUTTERFLY!
- Invite your child to pretend to be a caterpillar and act out the words in the song.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Which one moves more slowly, the butterfly or the caterpillar?
- Can you show me how a caterpillar moves? A butterfly?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop large muscle skills and language skills. Taking walks together helps your child learn to observe and focus on nature.