Here's a Family Song
Put your family members into a song that can be sung as you run errands in the car or any time you are waiting. The familiar tune makes it easy for everyone to learn.
What to do:
- Ask your child to name the people in your family. Talk about your family's last name and tell your child to listen for it in this song.
- Introduce the first verse of the song and sing it through.
- Let your child choose who to sing about next.
- Invite him to think of an action to go with each family member's name. For example, clap each time for Mom, touch knees for sister, and so on.
- Continue singing through all the family members.
- Sing this song to the tune of "Old MacDonald"
Here's a family you should know, EIEIO,
And (Family Name) is the name you know, EIEIO,
With a (Family name) here and a (Family Name) there,
Here a (Family name), there a (Family name),Everywhere a (Family name).
Here's a family you should know, EIEIO.
And in this family is a mother, EIEIO,
And _____ is her name you know, EIEIO,
With a Mom here, and a Mom there,
Here a Mom, there a Mom, everywhere a Mom, Mom,
In this family is a mother, EIEIO.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- How many people are in our family? Who is the oldest? Who is the youngest?
- What does our family like to do together?
While you are singing together, your child is developing thinking skills and language skills.