With this activity you may grow a healthy eater as well as learn about sprouts.
mung beans sandwich food glass jar with lid water paper towel paper and pencil
What to do:
- Invite your child to place a wet paper towel at the bottom of the jar.
- Let her put the seeds on the paper towel.
- Ask her to secure the lid tightly on the jar.
- Encourage her to check daily to make sure that the paper towel does not dry out.
- Help her to rinse and drain the sprouts that appear twice a day and keep them in a dark place.
- Have her observe the growth that occurs each day. Encourage her to draw pictures of what she sees.
- After 5 days, let her wash the sprouts and use (eat) them with whole wheat bread, mayonnaise, cucumber slices, cheese, peanut butter, etc. Let her make her own sprout sandwiches.
How to play:
Ask your child to predict how long until a change may occur. Look carefully and chart the progress.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Can you describe how the beans changed?
- What would you like to eat with the sprouts?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop observational skills and an understanding of "same and different".