Homemade Football T-Shirt
The beginning of fashion most likely dates back to the 14th and 15th centuries. During that time, in western Europe, the silk and wool industries flourished. Garments made of silk and wool were considered luxury garments and were only available to the rich. The peasants and poor wore very simple clothing that hardly changed through the generations. Fashions reflect the society in which we live. Nowadays we have clothes for many different functions. T-shirts, jeans, shorts, sweats, and sneakers are the relaxed and sporty fashion of today. Design these football t-shirts to honor your favorite sports team and to wear while you are relaxing watching the game.
plain T-shirts, one adult-size, one child-size, or two child-size permanent markers or fabric crayons paper pencil
What to do:
- If possible, print out these directions. Read them through before you begin.
- Gather everything you'll need and always remember art safety.
- Think of the people who watch football games with you. Ask them if they would like a football T-shirt for your favorite team.
- Plan a design for a football shirt that each of you can wear while you watch the game. Sketch team names and colors, favorite players' numbers or other football designs on a piece of paper.
- Use the markers or fabric crayons to decorate the first shirt, using your plan as a guide. (If the fabric crayons are used on paper first, write the words backwards so that they will transfer correctly.)
- Decorate the second shirt with a similar design or plan a new design.
Watching football games with my grandfather is so exciting. He used to play football and knows so much about the game. He explains every play to me. He has a lot of patience. Together, we designed football t-shirts to honor our favorite team. I think that when we wear them it brings the team good luck. (Jessica, age 14)