Using a clothespin and string as a paintbrush not only creates interesting "modern art," it helps your child develop fine motor skills.
tempera paint spring-type clothespins shallow dish heavy string sheets of paper water
What to do:
- Help your child to pour a small amount of paint into a shallow dish. You can thin it down with water.
- Show her how to clip pieces of string about 6" long onto clothespins.
- Invite her to dip the string into the paint and carefully let it drop and "dance" several times on a sheet of paper.
- Encourage her to use different colors of paper and paint. Or she can use different paints on a single sheet of paper.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Where are the marks thick? Thin? Curved? Straight?
- Give your pictures a name.
While you are having fun together, your child is developing small muscle skills, eye/hand coordination and creativity.