Just like magic, shapes and objects appear on shiny foil when your child rubs over it!
discarded file folder sharp scissors (ADULT USE ONLY) and safety scissors for the child marker heavy duty aluminum foil construction paper tape crayons (optional)
What to do:
- Invite your child to draw a simple shape or object onto the file folder.
- Help her cut out the object to use as a template.
- Cut a piece of aluminum foil slightly larger than the template.
- Help your child place the template under the foil and tape around the foil to hold it in place.
- Invite her to press and rub the foil until the print of the shape appears. She may want to add color by using the side of an unwrapped crayon and rubbing it over the template.
- Encourage her to mount the rubbing for display by gluing the foil onto a piece of construction paper.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Tell me how you made this shape suddenly appear on the foil. Was it magic?
- What other objects could you put under the foil to create prints?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills, eye/hand coordination and an understanding of "same and different."