Write Books Together
You and your child can spend many a rainy day making and reading books.
construction paper white paper yarn hole punch magazines scissors (ADULT USE ONLY) white school glue markers (optional)
What to do:
- Put together 8-10 pieces of white paper.
- Invite your child to choose either wallpaper samples or construction paper to make the book cover.
- Punch holes at the top and bottom on one side of the book; then lace and tie with yarn to secure.
- Encourage him to name a theme for his book.
- Browse through magazines together, looking for pictures that fit the theme (dogs, farm animals, flowers, etc.) Cut these out.
- Help your child paste the pictures onto the pages of the book, adding text if he wishes.
- Read the book together at bedtime or for a quiet activity during the day.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- We made a book about dogs. What other animal could we make a book about?
- In your book, what was your favorite picture?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills, sorting skills and language skills.