Colorful Sand Painting
Together with your child, color some sand and try this unique art form.
3 - 4 cups of white playground sand food coloring plastic containers plastic spoons cardboard paper plates or newspaper glue crayons or markers
What to do:
- Divide the sand into 4 containers.
- Put 3 - 5 drops of food coloring into one of the containers.
- Invite your child to stir it around. You could put on the lid and let your child shake it until the color is evenly distributed.
- Help your child do the same thing with the other colors.
- Offer him the cardboard and crayon or marker and encourage him to draw a picture.
- Then put glue over the sections of the picture that will be one color and help him to sprinkle on the colored sand.
- Shake the extra sand onto a paper plate or piece of newspaper.
- Encourage your child to continue gluing and shaking sand on the different parts of the picture. Set it aside to dry.
- When dry, invite him to feel how hard the sand art has become.
- At another time, you might want to use the sand to make a picture with your child's name or to make the numbers from 1 to 10.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- How did the sand feel after it dried on the picture?
- Which color is the brightest?
- Which color is your favorite?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills and eye/hand coordination.