Bird Seed Basket
Take care of our fine feathered friends with an innovative bird feeder you and your child make together!
small (bathroom) paper cups (non-waxy) glue or tape spring-type clothespins stickers markers birdseed
What to do:
- Invite your child to decorate the cup with markers and stickers.
- Help him to glue or tape clothespins to the sides of the cup.
- Show him how to fill the cup with birdseed and clip it to a tree branch or bush.
- Together, watch the birds feed. Feeding and observing birds with your child is a great way to help him form connections with nature. Sing this song together, (Tune: "Ten Little Indians"):
One little, two little, three little blue birds;
Four little, five little, six little red birds;
Seven little, eight little, nine little yellow birds;
All sitting in a tree!
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Pretend to be a bird. Show me how to fly.
- What does a bird eat?
- What sounds do birds make?
- Why do you think the birds will like your gift basket?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills, observational skills, and listening skills.