Edible Bean Bags
Why not make a bean bag supper with little pockets of pasta. Get your child involved making ravioli squares!
1 recipe pasta dough 2 lbs. ricotta cheese 8 oz. mozzarella cheese and/or re-fried beans 2 eggs dash salt and pepper favorite sauce knife or ravioli cutter (ADULT USE ONLY) pot fork rolling pin
What to do:
- Let your child help you mix cheese, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Roll dough (1/8 inch thick) into rectangles. Let your child help with the rolling process.
- With knife or ravioli cutter, cut 2-inch squares.
- Place a heaping teaspoon of cheese mixture on each square.
- Invite your child to place another square of pasta on top.
- Prick edges closed with a fork. Discuss how these square pockets look like bean bags.
- Place the ravioli in boiling, salted water. Bring water to a boil again and cook for 15 minutes.
- Top with your favorite sauce.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- What shape is the ravioli?
- What shape is a bean bag?
- What food did we put inside the pasta pocket?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills, eye/hand coordination, and pre-math skills.