Let's Make Grassy Eggheads
Your child can be a gardener right in your own kitchen. Together plant grass seed in this unique container and see what happens!
eggshell halves grass seed tape 4-inch long by 2-inch wide strips of cardboard teaspoon plastic wrap soil water mister marker
What to do:
- Tape ends of cardboard strip to make a stand for each egg.
- Place eggshells in the stands. Help your child fill each eggshell with soil.
- She can measure and sprinkle one teaspoon grass seed in each shell.
- Then let her dampen the seeds in each eggshell with the water mister.
- Together, use markers to draw faces on the eggshells.
- Cover the egg halves with plastic wrap.
- For one week, keep the seeds moist and out of direct sunlight.
- After the week, help your child to uncover the sprouts and place them in a sunny location.
- Continue to watch the eggheads grow a large head of green hair.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- The eggheads are growing hair. What is really growing inside the shell?
- What did you do to the seeds to help them grow?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills, observational skills, and an understanding of cause and effect.