A Wet Chalk Rainbow Drawing
Brighten up a rainy day as your child experiments with these brilliant colors.
colored chalk plastic bowl water large sheets of construction paper
What to do:
- Invite your child to soak pieces of colored chalk for about 5 minutes in a plastic bowl filled with water.
- Show her how to draw with the end of the chalk and then the side of the chalk on the paper. Help your child notice the effects.
- Invite her to draw a rainbow so that she can see how different colors look. The order of the rainbow is red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet; though any way your child creates it will be fine.
- Hang up your child's picture for all to see as a reminder that spring is near.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- What happened when you wet the chalk? Did the color change?
- Which color is the brightest?
- Which color is your favorite? Can you show me something else that is your favorite color?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills and an understanding of colors.