The Movement Song
Enjoy singing and moving to the rhythm of a movement song created by you and your child.
What to do:
- Teach your child the basic song.(Tune: "Mulberry Bush"):
This is the way we jump around, jump around, jump around,
This is the way we jump around
at our house today.
- Sing it again replacing the word "jump" with "skip," "hop," and "gallop." Add appropriate movements.
- Ask her to think of other words that tell how we move.
- Help her name movements she might be able to do but does not know the name for, such as glide or bounce.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- When we sang the song, which was your favorite way to move today?
- Can you think of other ways we can move?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop language skills, large muscle skills, and balance.