My Jack-O-Lantern Mosaic Mask
Your child will jump for joy with this jolly jack-o-lantern mask you can make together!
orange and black construction paper
paste or glue
scissors (ADULT USE ONLY)
What to do:
- Invite your child to tear orange construction paper into small pieces.
- Help him spread paste or glue on a paper plate.
- Invite your child to place the orange paper pieces on the plate.
- Cut basic shapes - triangles, long rectangles, squares, and circles out of black construction paper.
- Encourage your child to help make a jack-o-lantern face using these shapes.
- Challenge him to glue these onto the orange paper covered plate.
- Carefully cut out eye holes.
- Add a Popsicle stick with tape for a handle.
How to use:
- Suggest your child dress in orange clothes and use this mask to pretend to be a jack-o-lantern.
- Invite your child to hold this mask to his face as you dramatize and dance to this song. (Tune: "Did You Ever See a Lassie?"):
I am the great orange pumpkin, orange pumpkin, orange pumpkin.
I am the great orange pumpkin. Come dance with me.
For your friends are my friends, and my friends are your friends.
I am the great orange pumpkin on Halloween night.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Let's make a jack-o-lantern mask.
- Here is a circle. Can you find the other circle?
- Shall we use the circles for the jack-o-lantern's eyes? Show me where you would like to put the eyes.
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills and language skills.