Stir up some fond memories as you and your child mix up a batch of these easy-to-make muffins. You'll remember this special recipe with all of your senses!
1 cup peanut oil
4 cups sugar
29-oz. can of pureed pumpkin
5 cups unbleached flour
1 Tbsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ground cloves
1-1/2 tsp. salt
vegetable spray or paper muffin cups
measuring cup and spoons
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Let your child help you pour pumpkin, eggs, sugar, and peanut oil in a large bowl.
- Mix with electric mixer.
- Invite your child to help you combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a small bowl. Remember to encourage her to investigate each ingredient with all the senses. Talk about its taste, color, smell, and so on.
- Mix the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture.
- Grease the muffin tins or let your child put paper muffin cups into the tin.
- Let your child help you spoon the batter into tins, filling each section 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let muffins cool.
- For a smaller batch, cut the recipe in half.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Do you like the smell of cloves? Cinnamon?
- Let's taste the batter. Is it good?
- Let's taste these muffins. Are they yummy?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop eye/hand coordination and her senses.