A Little Celery Magic
Watch a stalk of green celery turn a different color right before your eyes!
stalk of celery water food coloring clear plastic cup or glass white carnation flower (optional)
What to do:
- Cut across the bottom of a stalk of celery and help your child place it into a glass of colored water. Tint the water with drops of food coloring to make it a dark color. It's best to use red or blue.
- Watch carefully! Within several hours, he will be able to trace the pathways in the stem by following the colored lines in the stalks. Eventually, even the leaves will turn color.
- Your child may wish to draw a picture, illustrating this science experiment.
How to use:
As a variation, cut the stem across a white carnation and place it into colored water. Proceed as above and watch this flower change colors.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Why do you think the color rises in the celery?
- What is your favorite vegetable? What is its color?
While you are having fun together, your child is developing observational skills and an understanding of "same and different".