Let's Make Music
Music is a way of communicating and expressing oneself. You and your child can use this fingerplay as an introduction to musical instruments!
empty oatmeal carton or coffee can with plastic lid glue construction paper crayons, markers and/or stickers
What to do:
Talk about musical instruments and dramatize this fingerplay together.
When I see a piano
This is the way I would play. (Pretend to play a piano.)
I can hold a guitar
And strum the strings this way.(Pretend to hold a guitar and strum.)
A trumpet to my lips
I'd toot to make a tune. (Pretend to play a trumpet.)
But my favorite is a drum
When I go boom, boom, boom! (Pretend to play a drum.)
How to use:
- As an enhancement to this fingerplay, help your child make a simple musical instrument. You can make a drum by using an empty oatmeal carton or coffee can with a plastic top.
- Put glue on the sides of the container and wrap construction paper around it.
- When dry, invite your child to decorate the drum with crayons, markers and/or stickers.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- What is your favorite musical instrument? Show me how you would play it.
- If you could play an instrument and sing, which song would you sing?
While you are having fun together, your child is developing language skills and small muscle skills.