Dance Around the Shapes
Play a fun music game that gets everyone up and dancing. Your child will learn about shapes in this active movement game.
newspaper tape music
What to do:
- Cut sheets of newspaper into 4 large shapes-- a circle, square, triangle, rectangle.
- Place them around on the floor in an open area. Use a couple pieces of tape to keep them from moving.
- Turn on some music and invite your child to dance in between the shapes while the music is playing. When the music stops, choose a shape and touch it with your toes.
- Invite your child to tiptoe around the shape and name it before the music starts again.
- Continue playing music and moving around the shapes as long as interest continues.
- Invite other family members to play along with you.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Let's move our arms in different places as we dance. Can you move them up high? Down low? In front of you? In back of you?
- Listen to the music and decide if it is slow or fast.
While you are having fun together, your child is developing large muscle skills, language skills, and an introduction to shapes.