Circus Cup Puppets
Bring the excitement of the circus to your house as you and your child make puppets from household materials!
paper cups large craft sticks construction paper glue scissors (ADULT USE ONLY) markers or crayons yarn or cotton balls pipe cleaners fabric, lace, ribbon or wallpaper scraps
What to do:
- With scissors, cut a slit the width of a craft stick in the bottom of a paper cup.
- To make each puppet head, invite your child to glue 2 circles of construction paper onto the front and back of each craft stick, creating a "lollipop" effect.
- Encourage her to add yarn, fabric bits, ribbon scraps or construction paper details. These basic puppet shapes may be decorated to represent circus people and animals.
- Show your child how arms may be created from pipe cleaners. Use scissors to make holes in the cups for a pipe cleaner to poke through. Or, help your child fold paper strips accordion-style and tape them onto the cup.
- Invite your child to draw on eyes with markers.
- She can then insert the head into the paper cup slit.
- Encourage her to decorate the body of the cup as she wishes.
How to use:
- Set up a pretend circus in your home.
- Make the performance ring by placing a circle of masking tape on the floor.
- Your child can pretend to be any member of the circus and can perform with her puppets.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Tell me about your puppet. Does it have a name?
- Do you like making animal or people puppets better?
While you are having fun together, your child is developing small muscle skills and language skills. If possible, look for a local circus production in your town and take your child on an exciting and educational adventure.