You don't need expensive equipment to create edible works of art--most of the stuff is already in your kitchen pantry!
your favorite sugar cookies recipe or refrigerator cookie dough square cookie cutter tubes of decorator icing in colors cookie sheet rolling pin
What to do:
- Prepare the sugar cookie recipe.
- Roll the dough out flat with a rolling pin. Invite your child to help.
- Challenge him to cut blocks using cookie cutters.
- Bake cookies as directed in the recipe.
- Encourage your child to help you pipe the frosting along the edges of the square cookie shape to make them resemble blocks.
- Invite your child to choose an alphabet letter or number to place inside with the frosting.
- On a large plate challenge your child to arrange several block cookies to create a building or how about spelling his name with the alphabet letters?
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Do square cookies look like blocks?
- How did you decorate the cookies?
- Would you like to build with them before eating this treat? What would you make?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills, eye/hand coordination and an introduction to cooking.