An Emerald Green Pie
Make the kitchen a fun place as you prepare a St. Patrick's Day pie with your child!
ready-made graham cracker crumbs 1/2 stick margarine 1 pkg. lime gelatin 1 cup boiling water 1 pint lime sherbet 1/2 cup whipping cream green gumdrops pie pan bowl mixing spoon measuring cup
What to do:
- Melt the margarine in the microwave or on top of the stove.
- Let your child help you put the crumbs in a bowl with the margarine and mix well.
- Together, use clean fingers to press the crumb mixture into a pie pan. Cover the bottom and sides.
- Place the gelatin into a large bowl and add the boiling water.
- Stir until dissolved and add the lime sherbet. Again, stir until the sherbet melts and blends with the gelatin.
- Let your child help mix the whipping cream into the gelatin-sherbet mixture.
- Pour into a pie pan and refrigerate overnight.
- Invite your child to decorate the pie with green gumdrops.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- How did the crumbs feel in your fingers when you pressed them in the pie pan?
- What did you use to decorate this pie?
- What color is this pie? Can you show me something else that is the same color?
While you are having fun together, your child is developing small muscle skills, learning to follow directions and an introduction to cooking.