Motorboat Movement Game
Playful interactions help children learn the give and take needed in relationships. Working together is the only way to get the "motorboat" to go.
sheet or blanket
What to do:
- This game is played best with one or two siblings or friends.
- Have one child sit in the center of the blanket. This is the motorboat. The other child or children grab one end of the blanket and pull the "motorboat" as you chant the rhyme.
Motorboat, motorboat, go so slow,
Motorboat, motorboat, go so fast,
Motorboat, motorboat, step on the gas.
- Encourage them to say the rhyme with you and to pull the motorboat according to the speed mentioned in the rhyme.
- Let them continue play as long as they are interested, taking turns being the motorboat and puller.
- If your child wants to play this alone, have her choose a doll or stuffed animal to place in the motorboat and repeat the chant.
How to use:
Another variation is to have a group of three or more form a circle and then move in the circle according to the directions in the song. Slow - walk; fast - walk quickly; step on the gas - run.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- What are some other kinds of boats? Do they move slow or fast?
- What other vehicles can move really fast?
While you are having fun together, your child is developing large muscle skills, language and social skills.