Valentine Bead Necklaces
Mixing dough and shaping beads provide your child with a variety of sensory experiences. This valentine gift adds a special "loving" touch to the craft.
4 measuring cups flour 1 measuring cup salt mixing bowl 1-1/2 measuring cups water food coloring (OPTIONAL) measuring cups straw, pipe cleaner, or thin paintbrush mixing spoon baking tray yarn
What to do:
- Together with your child, mix the flour, salt, and water in a bowl to make clay dough. Divide the dough into equal portions and give one to your child and one to yourself.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes. If desired, let your child choose two or three colors and add food coloring to portions of the dough, kneading it until the color is distributed.
- Encourage her to form small balls with the dough. Let her try to shape the balls into heart shapes.
- Help her use a straw, pipe cleaner, or thin paint brush to poke holes through each bead.
- Place the beads on a baking tray and bake at 250 degrees F. for 2 hours.
- When cool, help your child string the beads onto a piece of yarn to make a special necklace.
- Encourage your child to make other necklaces for friends.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- What happened to the flour and salt when the water was added? Was it easy or hard to stir?
- Who are your friends? What do you and your friends like to do together?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills, eye/hand coordination and an understanding of "same and different".