Snack on the Go Necklace
Make a "snack-on-the-go" necklace for your child to enjoy anytime!
raisins popcorn o-shaped cereals pretzels dried apricots, apples or prunes large, blunt plastic tapestry needle thread bowls scissors
What to do:
- Let your child help you place some or all of the above ingredients in individual bowls.
- Thread the needle with enough thread to go comfortably around her neck.
- Tie a small pretzel at the end so the snacks will not slip off.
- Show your child how to use the threaded needle to string the foods. Encourage her to pick favorite ingredients and create patterns.
- Cut the needle from the necklace. Knot the ends of string and wear as a necklace. She can nibble while you are on the go!
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- How many snack pieces did you "sew" onto your necklace?
- Tell me about any patterns you made.
- When will you eat your necklace?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills and eye/hand coordination.